Work From Home Jobs For Moms
Part 2 of 2
You know you want to work at home. Now, you just need to find your niche.
- Look over your social networks. More than likely you have friends and contacts who are already earning money from home. While WAHMs are insanely busy, they also love sharing their journey with newbies. Call up a friend who's in a field you're interested in. See how she got her start and made her break.
- What's your area of expertise? Do you have training in education, health care, graphic design, computer programing, music, or childcare? If you can work in your area of expertise, you'll likely be able to earn top dollar faster. If you anticipate that you'll be working at home for many years, it may be worth your while to get trained in a specialized field such as medical transcription.
- What do you love? What do you believe in? Moms who have seen the impact of, for instance, essential oils on their own kids' health make fabulous advocates and sales personnel for companies like Young Living Essential Oils. Has music changed your life, and now you want to pass along your skills to others? Music lessons become not just income, but an opportunity to impact the next generation.
- Check out sites such as The Work at Home Woman, the WAHM connection, and the WAHM Zone. These sites offer a wealth of information for moms new to working from home and for moms who have years of experience.
The options are as close as your front door or as distant as the other side of the world. Every day, one set of WAHMs walks their neighbor's dogs and has home day cares while another set of WAHMs communicates with international clients. Here are some of the popular options:
Service to the local community
- These jobs are great for WAHMs who love being with people and are well connected in their community. Check out Craig's List or area schools and colleges. Advertise with signs or in the local paper.
Home Day Care
Service to the virtual community
- Not so well connected? New to the community? Looking for something with more flexibility? You've still got the online world. Check out Elance, Guru or iFreelance. Clients are looking for freelancers in these and other areas.
Editing / Formatting e-books
- Decades before anyone coined the acronym WAHM, moms were selling Tupperware and Stanley Home Products. Direct sales were one of the first and still are one of the best ways to generate income and provide unique products to the community. The creative mom, the mom who wants to make the world more beautiful, the mom who's "sold" on a product that helped her family - these moms know how to make a sale. The list is nearly endless, but here are a few to get you started.
Your original creations on Etsy
Stella & Dot
Ready to get started? Take a moment to set a few milestones. What is a reasonable goal for next week? Next month? And three months from now? Hitting the milestones can affirm your calling and keep you pushing. And then when you hit that milestone that may be unknown to the rest of the world, you'll know what you've done, and you'll know that it's time to celebrate your courage and accomplishments.